Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Who knew?

When the idea of a blog was first mentioned to me, I honestly doubted that I had anything worthy of sharing. But during subsequent conversations with staff at the Irrigator, as I was spouting off about something or other, they would tell me, "That's a blog, right there."

So, if having ideas and opinions on this adventure we call life qualifies me to blog, then who am I to question technology and the Y-generation?

Having lived in Patterson from the day of my birth at Del Puerto Hospital, I have seen a few(ahem) changes in this, my hometown. My husband and I have enjoyed raising our three kids in this town. We've benefited as parents by being surrounded with a caring network of health care providers, teachers, neighbors and friends.

So it's from that perspective that I will attempt to share some insights on the pulse of this great little city.

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Woo-Hoo! You're going to be a great blogger!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to your take on things. I'm new to this blogging thing also.

Jonathan said...

Hurrah! The GM's on the Web. Look forward to seeing future posts, Carol.

Anonymous said...

Good job Carol!. There is something magical about the old days. Best to you and your family.

Pete and Janette
Susanville, Ca.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
The demand for more retail in Patterson will become a major issue as the community grows. The new population has those expectations. As the community works through its new growth plans, it would be interesting to hear form locals as to what they are willing to tolerate with respect to population levels in Patterson. It is a trade off between how much shopping convenience you want vs population size. The quality of the plan will have much to do with how much population people will tolerate, and the rate of growth plays a role in both the tolerance level of the population and how well the plan is implemented.

Carol Scoles said...

At the risk of sounding like a bitter old geezer, I submit the following:
My memory from the early sixties and into the late seventies suggests that population had little to do with retail services. When the town had a population of 3600, we had several clothing stores, for men women and children. Two general stores which offered bedding, towels, fabric, sewing supplies, school supplies and more. A shoe store, which also carried hats and ladies bags. A movie theater (previously mentioned)a "Western Auto" which carried bicycles, housewares, dishes, glasses etc. This is off the top of my head....I'm probably leaving something out.
My point is, these business survived because local residents shopped local for most things. It was a big deal to drive to Modesto or Turlock - maybe you did that for a "special occasion" dress or gift, but otherwise, you shopped in Patterson.
The only thing that I can suggest may have changed was when the shift went from locally owned stores to national chain stores, and the savings that those stores provided made the drive worth it. And gas was probably about 25 cents a gallon!
So when folks decided to hop into the car and shop at Montgomery Ward, or JC Penney, the local shops couldn't match the prices and eventually just closed shop.
Oh yes, we had a furniture store too!