Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Plaza Circle Raceway

Well, I almost got creamed today during the lunch hour rush to return to work.
Not once, but twice as I made my way around the circle from Del Puerto Ave. to North Third Street, two different vehicles chose to create a two lane race way.

First was a young woman in such a big hurry. Apparently I wasn't going fast enough for her, so she passed me on the inside, then cut in front of me so she could exit onto E. Las Palmas. Only problem for her was a pedestrian crossing there, which meant she had to stop. I stopped behind her too, as my other option would have been to A) hit her from behind; or B) try to veer left and continue my trip around the circle.

Luckily, I didn't go around her, as another vehicle with two gentlemen, was making it's way on the inside track.

Again, I ask you: When did the Plaza circle become a multi-lane roadway? Did I miss the memo on that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cut off driving on Plaza.

Make the core a walking mall with driving and parking on El Circulo only.

Establish a shuttle system for elderly, the handicapped or the lazy to reach business establisments

What's it going to take before something is done? You know the answer.

Pay for it by establishing a parking district under the Streets and Highways Code

Carol Scoles said...

Interesting idea, Anonymous. Couple of thoughts.....
What sort of shuttle system?

What about delivery trucks that go to and from the businesses within the core?

Anonymous said...

Delivery trucks can access from el circulo. Hand carts still do wonders for weight loss and muscle tone on the drivers.

Take a look at what gets used for shuttling folks during the Fiesta

Have your city attorney look at a Business Improvement District under the Streets and Highways Code. It is an assessment on the businesses that benefit and is designed to spruce up decaying towns. Sound appropriate? It was actually suggested there some 15-20years ago and rejected.

Carol Scoles said...

The Fiesta has a little gas powered train that moves children around the Plaza circle.

Can you elaborate on who suggested this Business Improvement District? I recall Mike McNaughton trying to start a Downtown Business Assoc. in and around that time. Is that what you're referring to?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's the one. Mr. McNaughton worked on about 15-20 years ago. It is a business Improvement District with an assessment on the businesses in the district. Who knows, maybe it could survive the protest now though I do not recall it even getting past the council at that time.

About the cars for transporting I think you get the idea and I am sure I remeber something for older folks at some time in the past. Can I ride on the train?

Anonymous said...

I've driven on plenty of round a bouts in europe. problem is that it is built for two lanes. people who are going more than one exit are supposed to migrate towards the center and then signal to exit. also remember the vehicle in the round-a-bout has the right of way when you attempt to enter and no stopping.